In an effort to promote environmental and economic health for all those who live, work, and play in Greater Lansing, Mayor Virg Bernero and his environmental advisory team have launched the Greater Lansing Go Green! Initiative. This initiative is a local partnership sponsored by the Lansing Board of Water & Light and Lansing Community College. Go Green! is a comprehensive effort designed to establish and promote a "green" ethic and raise awareness about environmental issues throughout the region's communities, businesses, and schools.
- Make City facilities more energy efficient and less wasteful
- Promote environmental education in schools
- Raise environmental awareness among residents
- Help industry and local businesses to become "greener"
- Coordinate City efforts, businesses, organizations, and individuals resources to meet environmental goals
- Engage the community through programming and event planning
- Create and encourage regional resource networking
- Educate individuals, businesses, organizations, and City of Lansing departments on environmental issues and solutions
- Meet Mayor's Climate Protection Agreement guidelines
- Reduction of Greenhouse gas emissions to 7% less than 1990 emission levels.
- Meet energy standards set by Mayor Bernero's Executive Order of 2007
- Establish a Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) for City of Lansing
- 10% renewable energy by 2010, 15% by 2015, 20% by 2020
We are already making great strides in environmental protection here in the Lansing area, but the Go Green! Initiative will push Greater Lansing to the forefront in sustainability and "green" development, strengthening our health, communities, and economy.