Building Use Guidelines
The Mission of the Lansing Department of Parks and Recreation is to enhance the quality of life through the preservation and maintenance of park lands, to provide quality leisure time activities, and to provide special facilities which would otherwise not be available to Lansing residents.
Section I. Scope of the Policy
The Building Use Policy establishes guidelines to assist the staff of the Lansing Parks and Recreation Department in its decision making process when a group requests the use of a community building. For a full copy that pertains to all facilities, contact the Department.
Section II. General Reservation Procedures
- Our Facility Use Request Form must be completed and signed by a responsible agent, who is at least 21 years old.
- A deposit of 50% of the fee must be paid and received at Turner-Dodge within ten calendar days of confirmation of the reservation.
- The balance due must be paid and received more than ten calendar days prior to the reservation date. If full payment is not received within this time, the reservation will be canceled without further notice.
- Depending upon the nature of the reservation, groups may be required to supply insurance to cover liabilities presented during the usage if any of the following conditions exist:
The group shall file with the City proof of a public liability and standard property damage insurance policy a minimum of 10 days prior to the reservation date. (See Section III.)
- Food or beverages are to be served.
- Fund raising ventures will involve city facilities/park land.
- Other conditions deemed appropriate by the City.
- In addition to the estimated fee, the group shall pay within 30 days of billing, all charges imposed for remaining beyond the scheduled reservation period or for requiring special cleanup.
- Checks should be made payable to "Lansing Parks and Recreation Department" and sent or delivered to The Turner-Dodge House.
Use Policy Guidelines
- A reservation may be confirmed but shall not be considered final until the applicable deposits/fees are paid, insurance is filed.
- The facility will not be available until the starting time shown on the reservation permit. Include set up and take down time for your event.
- For minors, a sufficient number of adults must be present during the reserved period to assure proper supervision and orderly conduct of the group.
- The person applying for the reservation shall be held responsible for the conduct of the group, be jointly and severally responsible for all fees and charges, be liable for any damages to the facility or its environs caused by any member of the group or other person in attendance and shall see that the building and surrounding grounds are left in a neat, clean and orderly condition.
- If there is a problem with the room(s) on the day of the reservation, it is the responsibility of the group representative to notify the building supervisor.
- Reservations will be accepted on the condition that the reservation and facilities use are subject to subsequent changes in fees, ordinances, and regulations.
- Reservation requests will be accepted on a first-served basis, but not more than six months or less than ten calendar days in advance of the requested date.
- Reservations will not be taken for times the facility is being used by the City of Lansing and specifically the Department of Parks and Recreation or for uses that are in direct competition with our programs.
- Money paid for reservations will be refunded (less $10 service fee) if the cancellation is made in writing and received thirty day prior to the reservation date. Changing date or location of a reservation is considered cancellation, and the refund policy will apply.
- Exception: if the canceled time is reserved and paid for by another group, a refund (less $10 service fee) can be made upon request.
- If the facility is closed due to adverse weather, a full refund shall be granted or an attempt will be made to accommodate another date.
- Upon request, the Parks and Recreation Department may, in its sole discretion, grant permission to waive provisions for reservations or any of the general use rules. To be valid, any such grant of permission or waiver must be in writing and so noted on the reservation permit.
If alcoholic beverage is to be served, Chapter 608 of the Lansing City Code outline ordinances pertaining to the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on city park land. Groups wishing to sell alcoholic beverages will be required to seek and have in place special state licensing, all insurance and Mayoral approval, if required, prior to the issuance of a department permit.
Section III. Insurance
If required (see Section II above), a public liability and standard property damage insurance policy shall be provided at the group's expense and insure the group and name the City of Lansing as an additional insured against such liability imposed on such group and/or the City of Lansing arising from injury or damage.
Such policy shall provide for no less than the payment of up to the denoted amount in the event of injury to or death of one or more persons: for all damages arising out of injury to or destruction of property in any one occurrence due to acts or omissions of the group or its members.
Policy limits shall be set in consultation with the City Attorney's Office.
The policy of insurance shall be written by an insurance company authorized to do business in the State of Michigan. A certificate of the insurance shall be filed with the Clerk of the City of Lansing, subject to prior review and approval as to form only by the Lansing City Attorney.
The certification shall have endorsed thereon the City of Lansing as additional insured.
All insurance and certificates shall include an endorsement providing for not less than thirty days prior written notice to the City Clerk of termination, expiration or material change of terms of the insurance.
Turner-Dodge House Fees
- City of Lansing residents: For 1st floor only (includes dining room, staging kitchen and music room) $110 per hour, 2-hour minimum. User is responsible for set up and clean up, and that time must be included in the overall rental request. Requires $250 security deposit OR Proof of Liability Coverage as listed above.
- Non-residents: For 1st floor only (includes dining room, staging kitchen and music room) $125 per hour, two hour minimum. User is responsible for set up and clean up, and that time must be included in the overall rental request. Requires $250 security deposit or Proof of Liability Coverage as listed above.
- The entire house for weddings and special events (includes all three floors) is $145 per hour, three hour minimum, 8-hour maximum. User is responsible for set up and clean up, and that time must be included in the overall rental request. Requires $250 security deposit and Proof of Liability Coverage as listed above.
- Weekdays: Monday - Thursday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., up to 8 hours, is $200.
- The cleanup fee (for uses that will involve extra clean up) is $30 per hour.
- At the conclusion of the room usage, any damages to the home will be deducted from the deposit or billed if beyond the $1,000 deposit.
- The Capacity of the House is 100 people.
- The Turner Dodge House is wheelchair accessible on the 1st floor only. Amplified music is not allowed in the park.
- Battery operated candles only. no tacks or tape of any kind may be used.
- The kitchen is available as a staging area only. Kitchen appliances, supplies, linens and utensils are not provided by Turner-Dodge House.