The City of Lansing and the Human Relations and Community Services Department are committed to improving the city’s housing stock and assisting residents find suitable housing. The Housing Ombudsman is an advocate for fair, affordable and quality housing in Lansing. Duties include mediating tenant-landlord disputes, homeless resolution, liaison to code enforcement and supporting policies and regulations that promote fair and affordable housing.
COVID-19 Related Housing Resources
Are You Facing Eviction? Are you a landlord trying to work with tenants that have been hit hard because of the coronavirus pandemic?
The COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA) program provides rent, utility, and internet payment assistance to help renters who have fallen behind on their bills during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The program is being administered by Holy Cross Services in partnership with Capital Area Housing Partnership, Advent House Ministries, Legal Services of South Central Michigan, Ingham County Continuum of Care, and the City of Lansing.
Here are links to help you navigate this process and apply for assistance:
- Details about accessing CERA help in Ingham County
- CERA program FAQs
- A list documents you will need when applying for CERA assistance
- APPLY ONLINE NOW for CERA assistance
- Agencies that can help Ingham County Residents avoid evictions or shut-offs
- Virtual Housing Hour: Get Answers to your Housing Questions
- Find additional help on the Capital Area Housing Partnership’s Housing Resources Guide with up-to-date information related to housing and COVID-19: COVID-19 Housing Resources Guide (link off site)
NEW resource for landlords related to the challenges posed by COVID-19: The Rental Property Owners Association of Mid-Michigan (RPOAMM) shared with the City of Lansing a communication developed by their Board regarding how to address some of today’s COVID-19 challenges. Should you have any further questions for the RPOAMM, please feel free to contact them using the information provided in their statement. RPOAMM message to their members (PDF)
Visit Our Housing Resources Pages
The City’s housing ombudsman has compiled resources related to housing that renters, landlords, homeowners, and housing seekers may find useful for addressing a wide array of housing issues or concerns. Please review the information below to learn about safe, affordable and fair housing in Lansing.