Business Licenses

The Lansing City Code requires certain businesses, designated by the City Council, to obtain a City License before operating within the Lansing City limits. A City license does not exempt businesses from obtaining proper State and County licenses when applicable.

Unless otherwise noted, licenses are issued for one-year periods.

Click on the name of the license to fill out the application. Applications may be printed and mailed into our office. Some applications may be submitted online. 

You have three payment options:

Option 1 – Mail a check or money order payable to the City of Lansing

Lansing City Clerk’s Office
Attn: Business Licensing
124 W Michigan Ave – 9th Floor
Lansing, MI  48933

Option 2 – Pay in person via check, money order, credit/debit card (subject to 3% fee for credit/debit card only) or cash by appointment only by calling 517-483-4131 or email [email protected] once the Emergency Order has been lifted.

Option 3 – Pay online using credit/debit card (subject to 3% fee) OR Electronic Check (ACH):

If you desire assistance or have questions about these forms, you can email us at [email protected], call us at (517) 483-4133, or visit us in the City Clerk's office, located on the 9th floor of City Hall (124 W Michigan Avenue, Lansing, MI 48933).

City License Categories

Licenses are listed alphabetically.


An Auctioneer License is required for the selling of goods, wares, merchandise and personal property at public auction.

Billiard Room and Bowling Alley

A Billiard Room and Bowling Alley License is required for any person to keep for hire any billiard table or bowling alley.

Building Wrecker or Building Mover

A Building Wrecker or Building Mover License is required to engage in the business of demolishing or moving buildings or other structures.


A Cabaret License is required for any public place where music or dancing privileges or any other entertainment, is afforded to patrons in connection with the servicing or selling of food, refreshments or merchandising. 

Canvasser / Street Peddler

A Canvasser/ Street Peddler License is required for any individual traveling and attempting to take orders for the sale of goods or food.

Collection Bin

A Collection Bin License is required for any container that is located on any property within the city and that is used for soliciting and collecting the receipt of clothing or household items.

Fireworks Display

A Fireworks Display License is required to conduct a display of fireworks, special effects, or consumer fireworks.

Going Out of Business, Fire, and Certain Other Sales

A Going Out of Business Sale License is required for any sale held in such a manner as to indicate a belief that upon disposal of the stock of goods on hand, the business will cease and discontinue at the premises where the sale is conducted.

Health Club

A Health Club License is required for any establishment which offers services in the form of massages, baths, exercises or similar services, singly or in combination, to club members or to the public for a charge.

Ice Cream Peddler

An Ice Cream Peddler License is required for any person who operates an ice cream vending vehicle or cart. 

Massage Therapist (Exempt From Health Code Ordinance)

A Massage Therapist License is required for a person who has successfully completed a comprehensive course of study in massage therapy and wants to operate independently from a Health Club.

Marijuana Facilities

To access the marijuana facilities application please click here. This link will also direct you to the 2019 Marijuana Operations Ordinance and information on supplement material required for the application process.

Scooter (Electric, Dockless)

A Dockless Electric Scooter Company owns, operates, provides or makes electric scooters available to the public. Such scooters are not required to be parked or docked in fixed locations.The ordinance will go into effect on March 20th, 2019.

Secondhand Dealer

A Secondhand Dealer License is required for any person whose business is that of dealing in secondhand goods of any kind.

Show License

A Show License is required for any person to sponsor, operate, exhibit or perform, or cause to be operated, exhibited or performed, any show in the City.

Sign Erector

A Sign Erector License is required to engage in the business of, or perform the work of, installing, erecting, maintaining, repairing or altering any sign.

Street Musician

A Street Musician License is required for any performer who performs in a public place within the Central Business District, and who solicits or receives donations or payment.

Transient Merchant

A Transient Merchant License is required for any person, who engages in a temporary business of selling and delivering goods within the City.

Vehicle for Hire: Taxi, Limousine, Shuttle Bus, Horse-Drawn Carriage

Visit the  Greater Lansing Taxi Authority website for more details
  • Greater Lansing Taxi Authority

    410 ABBOT ROAD EAST LANSING, MI 48823                                            Telephone: (517) 319-6914 Fax: (517) 337-1607

Waste Hauler

A Waste Hauler License is required for any person to operate a motor vehicle, along or upon the streets of the City for the purpose of hauling for hire or reward any waste.