Nuisance Inspections & Abatements

The Code Enforcement Section is responsible for enforcing nuisance ordinances. Inspections are generated through citizen complaints or routine surveys by inspectors. Once notified by the City, failure to correct the violation will result in the City’s abatement of the violation, with fees charged against the real property.

Nuisance Examples

Over Height Grass & Weeds

Yard maintenance standards are the responsibility of every property owner and include the maintenance of plant material on private property as well as in any right-of-way around the property. Grass and weeds must be maintained at eight inches or less.
An overgrown lawn in front of a house.

Other Vegetation Maintenance Standards

Plant material other than turf grass in the city right-of-way (parkway) shall not exceed 24 inches in height with blossoms not in excess of 36 inches in height.

All vegetation, trees or shrubs must not prevent the free and unobstructed travel of pedestrians upon sidewalks, or vehicles on streets and alleys. The branches of a tree extending over any public sidewalk, street or other public way should be trimmed to a height of no less than eight feet above the sidewalk and 14 feet above the street.

Vegetation at intersections must be trimmed as to not negatively affect traffic or pedestrians safety by impairing the visibility or passage of pedestrians or vehicles.

Junk, Trash & Debris

Junk, trash and debris cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed of. This includes junk auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials, tires, trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc, and debris such as tree trimmings, fallen limbs or other landscape waste. Generally, any equipment, materials, or furnishings that would ordinarily not be used outdoors may not be stored outdoors.

Inoperative Motor Vehicles

An inoperative vehicle is a vehicle that not equipped with all parts that are required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power. An inoperative motor vehicle on private property must be stored within a fully enclosed structure completely out of view of the public.
An inoperative van sitting in a lot.

Yard Parking

All vehicles must be parked on an approved surface. Parking is permitted for passenger cars and motorcycles on residential lots only on a legal driveway. A driveway or parking area must be constructed with approved parking surfaces. Parking in the front yard or between the curb and sidewalk is not allowed under City Ordinance.

Nuisance Abatement

Although voluntary compliance is the ultimate goal in sending a nuisance violation notice, there are times when the property owner does not take immediate action to correct the situation. Failure to comply with a nuisance notice will result in City abatement of the violation. City contractors will mow overgrown grass and weeds, remove garbage and debris from a property or tow inoperative motor vehicles from private property. The fees for these services plus an administrative fee is charged against the real property for the abatement activity.

File a Nuisance Complaint

Registering a complaint about a property can be completed by using the City's online complaint system or contacting our office.