Do I Need Flood Insurance?

If you live in the floodplain, you need flood insurance. Homeowners and renters insurance does not cover flood damage. Only flood insurance will cover flood damage. If you are renting in the floodplain, your landlord's flood insurance will probably not cover your belongings.

You can buy flood insurance through any property insurance agent, but be aware that some agents have more experience with flood insurance than others. Get more than one quote!

Anyone in Lansing can buy flood insurance and everyone in the floodplain should have a flood insurance policy. Flood insurance policies come with an "increased cost of compliance" rider. This means that if your home is badly damaged by flooding you can get up to $30,000 extra to help flood-proof your home.

If you live outside of the 100 year floodplain, consider a Preferred Risk Policy. Floods don't read maps; flooding can happen anywhere.

There is a 30-day waiting period for most new flood insurance policies, so don't wait until you see the water. For more information on flood insurance contact your insurance agent or visit the Flood Smart Website.